Monday, September 1, 2014

Nest Cam Round-up: White-bellied Sea Eagle, Africam Black Eagle, Berry College Bluebird, Dyfi Osprey, White Rock (Disintegrating Nest), Berry College (Still Growing Grass), Location Updates for Bald Eagles Camellia, Grace, NX, and HK

OK. I got caught up on the White-bellied Sea Eagle nest yesterday. But I missed posting a couple of the videos I had from 8/27 (or 8/28 their date). This first one is a wet Mom feeding something with legs to the baby. I think it's a bird. You can hear the rain gently falling. Then she settles back over the chick to brood. (1:00)

Dad showed up a few minutes later and cried for his chance to brood. But Mom wasn't budging because it was still raining! She raised up a few times, because the baby was acting like it was romper room under there. But she didn't get up. So, Dad left...

And I've just got a couple of s'caps from today, day 20. Yesterday was the first day of Spring at the nest in Australia. They get up so early!

This is Dad, blocking the view...

Dad finally moved out of the way and took off. He didn't go to the edge of the nest before leaping. He took off from just outside the nest bowl, giving this great view of his take-off.

The chick looks like a dumpling laying in the nest bowl.

The baby is hard to cover now while brooding.

 The chick is pretty stable now while sitting up.

Let me see if I can get the other nests caught up now! First up is the Africam Black Eagle cam. This baby is all grown up now. This first one is from 8/19:

Not much changed on 8/20:


The next time I got to look at the nest was on 8/23. The baby wasn't just laying there like a lump! I don't see it calling very often. 

But it was looking and calling. I love how its wing looks!

It was moving around the nest a lot.



I love the foot rest here.

I wonder if there's a perch above the nest where the parents hang out... The baby spends a lot of time looking up. Or, maybe there's something flying around.

At one point, it looked like it was trying to eat some nestovers.

Then the night cam came on.

The IR light shows the coloration of the tail feathers...

And the cap on the top of the head...

The chick was hanging out where we could see it on 8/26. This is looking like a completely grown up eagle.



 
On 8/28, the chick was hiding from the camera.

It was kinda hiding on 8/29. I think it was eating. Being watchful to make sure it wasn't going to be disturbed alternating with bending over to eat.





There wasn't much happening yesterday, 8/31.


Here's a couple of cute s'caps of the Berry College Bluebird from 8/12 that I never did post. It looks like a farmer with a piece of straw stuck in its beak:

 
 The Osprey at the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's Dyfi Osprey Project nest have fledged, but you can still catch them at the nest eating a fish or on one of the perches behind the nest. That's what I found on 8/19. You can tell that this is one of the chicks because the dark feathers are tipped in white.



 
Other days you get nothing but rain. Such was the case on 8/20.

And on some days, there's activity. But no Osprey. On 8/22, I found these two crows pecking around for nestovers.

We were in for some fun on 8/23. I brought up the cam and found one of the fledglings in the nest eating a fish.

What is that, just off cam? The osprey is giving it the stink eye.

The intruder moves in, just over the edge of the nest.

It's a Magpie!

The Osprey was puffing up, defending its fish from the Magpie! What was the Magpie doing?

It was doing a fly-by.

It was a bold bird!


It looks like the Magpie is making its move.

I didn't get any more s'caps with the Magpie, but I did get this s'cap of the clouds rolling across the landscape.

I got these s'caps on 8/26. I can't tell if this is one of the adults or one of the fledglings...



All I could get on 8/28 was the circle of "wait" but I could still tell that one of the fledglings was in the nest eating a fish and two other Osprey were on the high perch.

Then on 8/29, nobody was home...

I've got one s'cap of the empty and disintegrating White Rock nest. The parents have their work cut out for them building it back up for the coming nesting season!

And there's still grass growing at the Berry College Bald Eagle nest! I assume it will die off when the weather turns... I still find it amusing.

Of course, the transmittered Bald Eagles have checked in. Here are their most recent updates:

Bald Eagle Camellia 8/18.
Bald Eagle Grace 8/18.
Bald Eagle Camellia 8/21. You can tell where he's fishing!
Bald Eagle Grace 8/21.
Bald Eagle Camellia 8/25.
Bald Eagle Grace 8/25.
Bald Eagle Camellia 8/28.
Bald Eagle Grace 8/28.
Bald Eagle Camellia 8/30. He's exploring new territory.
Bald Eagle Grace 8/30. She has found a good fishing spot.

Bald Eagle NX has also checked in a few times. She has moved closer to her 2012 release site.

Great news! After no update since the end of March on Pam Monahan's blog about Bald Eagle HK, she has posted a few entries:
8/18.
8/19.
8/23.

OK. That's it for tonight! I'm all caught up!

No comments:

Post a Comment