Friday, December 20, 2013

Removal Of Bald Eagle Nest At The Norfolk Botanical Garden -- More Details

The Pilot Online has an article about the recent removal of the Bald Eagle nest at the Norfolk Botanical Garden (NBG). This was the eighth nest removal. There is a poll with the article (on the left below the related links) asking if Norfolk should continue with the nest removal. Last night, it was at 90% for no. Today, it's up to 93% for no. (That's with 6% for yes and 1% not sure.) I don't think that the Norfolk officials are going to listen though. It seems that there are fragile egos at play. There is no reason other than pride for the Mayor and the City Council to continue with this stupidity. Hey, Norfolk officials, I'm talking to you: Set aside your pride, listen to the experts, and control the problem by intensifying efforts at the airport.

The article talks about how much membership and revenue are down at NBG. I let my membership lapse but never provided a reason why. I'm sure it's more than 8% of people that left NBG because of the treatment of the Bald Eagles.

I will not spend any money in Norfolk as long as this mistreatment of Dad Norfolk and DT continues. I refuse to pay any sales taxes to Norfolk. I use the airport in Newport News instead of Norfolk. (And that's for safety reasons as well, since I don't consider the Norfolk airport to be safe since they don't mitigate the risk of all wildlife at the airport. Just this Band-Aid to make it appear like they are doing something.) If you haven't watched my video showing all of the birds that are on Lake Whitehurst (the body of water that separates the airport from NBG), please check it out. I originally shot this video just because it's nature. But it really shows the extent of the problem.

Please support the Bald Eagles and push for safety at the airport for all concerned. I recommend that you not spend any money in Norfolk and if you are a city resident, vote out the guilty parties. (Keep in mind that Tommy Smigiel is on the City Council and is in favor of leaving the eagles alone and fixing the problem at the airport. So, don't vote him out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment