Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Southwest Florida Eagles Hatch and Pip!, Upper Mississippi River Eagles Sleeping On Nest (Egg Watch?)

I've got a ton of s'caps from the hatch at the Southwest Florida nest! I couldn't see anything during the night because Mom was blocking the view whenever she moved about. But starting at midnight, I could hear cheaps, so I knew the baby had made some good progress. It's hard to see here, but the hatch has progressed well at this point.

We got a look at the eggs shortly after the infrared light switched off. It's very pixelated, but you can see the shell is almost cracked in half.

The focus came in a little when Mom moved away. Here's the date/time stamp for the below s'cap.

I can see some body and a wing sticking out here. The picture shifted on the web page and I didn't realize the date/time stamp had been cut off. But this was at 7:22AM.

These next two were from 7:31AM. The baby is still wet from being in the shell.



Then the fish deliveries started. A good way to tell if a hatch has happened yet is to see if there's any food in the pantry...

I think this was Dad that removed some of the shell from the bowl.

Looks pretty yucky in there...

The second egg is starting to hatch.

Another view of the second egg starting to hatch.

This is at noon and the baby is dry.

At 12:25PM I saw the baby beg for food for the first time.

The first attempted feeding was at 12:33PM. I don't know if the baby got any bites.


What a cutie!



I saw several feeding attempts during the day and I think the baby might have gotten some bites.

I think Dad and Mom were both trying to feed the baby at the same time...

Here's a short video Hatchling Goes Belly Up (1:43) while reaching for a bite. It's neat because you can see the place on its abdomen where it absorbed the yolk while hatching. Keep an eye on the nest for the second hatch!

Here's an interesting development at the Upper Mississippi River Eagle nest. It seems that Moms will spend the night at the nest if they are starting to feel like an egg is coming... So maybe we will see something at this nest soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment