Tuesday, June 18, 2013

NX and Camellia Locations, Piano Playing Singing Dog, Find Momo, Ferruginous Hawk Nest on Feathered Photography, Alcoa Osprey S'caps

NX has checked in. She hasn't gone far, still hanging out south of Quantico.

Camellia checked in. He's in Virginia Beach, but Reese speculates that he's heading back to the Pocaty River.

My friend Candy sent me a link to this piano playing and singing dog. I love it! So, I thought I'd share it.

I love the 6/14 find Momo. So cute! Check it out!

Ron Dudley posted some pictures from another Ferruginous Hawk nest with chicks. These pictures are amazing!

I spent some time today watching the Alcoa Osprey nest. I took way too many s'caps (screen captures) to put in one post. I'll put some here today and put some in tomorrow's post. It was an interesting day. I'm not sure what was happening off-camera, but the adult at the nest seemed agitated -- looking around, calling, ducking, and taking short flights.

In this picture, Mom is on full alert. She is hunkered down, calling, and her wings are a bit flared. She was neither landing nor taking off. I think she was trying to appear larger and more intimidating to scare off whatever threat she perceived:

Have you ever seen a group of cats who are all watching the same thing? Their heads and eyes all track simultaneously. That's what happened today as something flew around the nest:

And it happened more than once. Here all of the chicks are calling:

And here's Mom landing back in the nest after one of her short flights:

Dad brought in a fish at one point:

Dad never stays in the nest for long. Here, I caught him flying away:

After feeding her chicks, I was able to get a s'cap of Mom feaking. Notice the chicks watching her -- learning how to be Osprey. And sure enough, shortly after this s'cap was taken, one of the chicks did some vigorous feaking.

Mom kept a close watch as her chicks settled down for a nap:

It was an interesting day to watch this nest. I'll post the rest of the s'caps from today in tomorrow's post...

No comments:

Post a Comment