Sunday, February 2, 2014

Southwest Florida Bald Eagle Nest: Oldest Chick (E3) Died

It's a sad day at the Southwest Florida Bald Eagle nest. It was noted for the past few days that the older chick wasn't as interested in eating. There was speculation that something was wrong with the chick or that maybe it had passed it's peak need for food or was maybe still getting the same amount of food by getting fewer but larger bites. But sadly it is reported this morning that the older chick has died. I looked in on the nest last night and found the chicks snuggled together. I don't remember how much the older chick was moving last night. The thing that struck me about them after I took this s'cap was how much the younger chick had caught up to the older one in size. They look the same size here, with the older chick on the left. I wonder if the younger one was able to catch up more easily because the older chick was no longer eating and growing...

The scene this morning shows the adult repeatedly trying to snuggle up to the older chick. I'm not sure if the adult realizes that the chick is dead.


In the top left of the above s'cap, you can see the community of eagle watchers that has come together at the nest. I know they are reminiscing and providing strength to each other over this loss. If you have ever watched a nest, you understand the love and devotion to an eagle family that develops. If you haven't, I'm sure my words seem like I'm just some crazy eagle person. But that's your loss... Anyway, this is nature. And it isn't always pretty. And it doesn't always make sense. There was such concern in the first few weeks after hatching that the younger eaglet wouldn't survive because it was the victim of sibling rivalry. But we watched as the chick figured out how to get its share of food and thrive. I'm grateful that the youngster survived and found a way to thrive, especially now since the older chick died. Who would have guessed? Fly free little one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment