Friday, February 22, 2013

Bald Eagle sighting at 'Osprey Watch nest 307'

I am trying to get as much important information off of the Norfolk Eagles Forum before it goes away. So that will be the majority of my early posts. But I wanted to mention something that falls under ‘original content’ because it’s topical. The Center for Conservation Biology has a program called Osprey Watch. It’s a citizen scientist type program where people record their observations of local Osprey nests. There is a nest close to my house, nest 307. Someone else (Golf Tango) reported it before I did, so it’s not one of ‘my’ nests. But I can still record observations and post pictures for that nest. This evening shortly before 6:00PM I saw an adult Bald Eagle standing on the nest. When I drove by on my way back home 45 minutes later, it was gone. I wonder if this Bald Eagle is looking to take over this Osprey nest...
If you have an Osprey nest that you can observe, I encourage you to go to Osprey Watch and become a citizen scientist!
These are pictures that I took last year at nest 307. It is located on an old wooden pier that runs parallel to the bridge onto Langley Air Force Base at the N. King Street gate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment