Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Bald Eagles Camellia and KE Locations, Libby Mojica in Argentina, Sea Star Wasting Syndrome, Ice Age Fossils, Roads in the Amazon, A Late Happy Howl-O-Ween!

I'm back! Having your computer die makes you realize how much you rely upon it. My new computer is so pretty! And it arrived faster than they had promised. Happy, happy! I just hope I didn't lose any people that follow my blog...

Here are Bald Eagle Camellia's location updates:
10/22 exploring Virginia Beach lakes
10/25 Kemps Lake
10/28 does some exploring
10/31 off to a new location

And there is an update on Bald Eagle KE. She is really off on a grand adventure!

The Center for Conservation Biology's (CCB's) Eagle Nest Blog has an item about Libby Mojica attending the Raptor Research Foundation Meeting in Argentina. Libby is responsible for placing the transmitters on Bald Eagles, including Azalea and Camellia. The location data obtained from these transmitters helps to identify which areas are important habitat for Bald Eagles so that conservation efforts can be directed where it does the most good.

There is a star fish die-off happening off of both the east and west coast. They've named the problem the sea star wasting syndrome.

Ice age fossils are being excavated from LA tar pits.

30,000 miles of roads have been built in the Amazon over a three year period. I'm conflicted over this. The Amazon is such an amazing ecosystem that I hate to see the destruction necessary to put in these roads. But the roads are part of the forward progress of the people who live there. I don't feel I have a right to sit in the lap of luxury (comparatively) and demand that they not advance... Hopefully, they can find a way to elevate the standard of living while keeping conservation in mind.

I know I'm late with this. But this is my favorite picture of my girls... So, better late than never! We hope you had a Happy Howl-O-Ween! (l-r Sky, Daisy, Shannon)



No comments:

Post a Comment