Saturday, August 2, 2014

Nest Cam Round-up: Dyfi Osprey, White Rock (Falling Nest!), and White-bellied Sea Eagle, and Bald Eagles Grace and Camellia Check In

This morning found the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's Dyfi Osprey Project  nest empty. I think that's a parent on the high perch to the right and one of the fledglings on the low perch to the left.

Then we got a visit with one of the family, but I have no idea who... I can't read the leg band.



I thought this was a funny look...

I noted in a previous post that it looked like branches were falling from the nest. I looks like quite a bit of the nest has fallen away. This s'cap was taken today:

This s'cap was taken on 6/22. What a difference! I'm grateful that they were done with the nest for the year. The parents can build it back up in the fall so it will be ready for a new brood.

Here is another of Christian Sasse's pictures of this nest, posted here with his permission:

I can never keep track of the time differences for all of the nests that I watch. This s'cap was taken early in the morning -- maybe pre-sunrise. (Too lazy to look up sunrise times for location...) 

A half hour later, the sun was shining on the nest.

Eggs!

Here's a take-off sequence:







They zoomed in on the eggs.


A short time later I heard an adult land in the nest. You can see how the adults curl their talons in when they are entering the nest bowl to incubate. This prevents them from accidentally damaging the eggs.

 

 


Not long after settling in there was a nest exchange.
 
 


 That's a close landing!



It's funny how close they crowd each other -- can't wait to get on those eggs!

Look at that neck! That's what happens when you stand too close!

Then I got a take-off sequence:



These eagles look so delicate in the face.


There must be something interesting to look at over there. I love how the back feathers look in this light.

Bald Eagle Grace checked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment