Monday, July 6, 2015

Africam Black Eagle Day 39, Dyfi Osprey Day 35,37&38 Band & Poop Shoot Hat Trick, Harrison Bay Eagles Day 99&101, Loch of the Lowes Osprey Day 43,45&46, White-bellied Sea Eagle, White Rock Eagles Day 77&78 Play Time & Fledge Watch Continues, Lower Tidewater Virginia Bald Eagle Productivity, Ashleigh Scully's Conservation Photography

Exciting morning for me at the Africam Black Eagle nest. Not that anything exciting happened... But, you'll see... First thing when I brought up the cam was Mom and the baby. The baby is starting to look a bit pudgy, doing a lazy wing stretch here.

Then Mom left. Look at the pretty artwork here. I think the baby missed a spot though...

Then with a flash of wings, a parent arrives.

Then another flash of wings as the other parent arrives!

Yay! A family s'cap. The parents watch as the baby does a big stretch.

They were zoomed in a bit on the Dyfi Osprey nest this morning. I was able to get a s'cap of each Osplet's leg band. Here is the oldest Merin (F) with leg band W1. (Turn your head to the left to read the band...)

The band of the second oldest is just visible past its sibling. Leg band W2 is on Celyn (F).

The leg band of the youngest is just visible through the nesting material. This is Brenig (M) with band W3.

The three of them did a Poop Shoot Hat Trick this morning! (1:26)
 
When I save a s'cap, it's because I can say something about it. But sometimes, there's a disconnect between when I take the s'cap and when I blog about it. I have no idea what I was thinking here. I guess "Wheeeee!" will have to do!

Something did a fly-by pretty close to the nest.


This is almost like the s'cap above except I can see everyone's face. Which (to me) is reason enough to show the almost same s'cap...

The Harrison Bay Eaglets are still using the nest as a home base.


The Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osprey cam was also zoomed in this morning. I can read the leg band of FR3 and see its transmitter antenna. The sibling behind it must be FR4 because it also has a transmitter antenna coming from it's back. That means that FR2 must be the one in front laying down.

Then they zoomed back out. I love the lazy wing stretches! You can tell that the parent is the one in the middle of the nest, since its feathers don't have the white tips. The babies look to be full grown, compared to the adult. They will be ready to fledge soon!

Some bird was being super noisy above the White-bellied Sea Eagle nest, causing Dad to look up.

The White Rock Eaglets are really starting to explore the branches now.

They spent some time on the same branch. Something must have been flying overhead.

I got some video this morning from when they were perched together. They had a little Play Time (5:25):
 
This is what I'm talking about when I say they are exploring the branches. Look at how far out they are!
 
Here they are perched on the same branch, as viewed from the overhead cam. I hope those branches are sturdy!

Reese Lukei compiled some data about the productivity of the local Bald Eagle nests (Lower Tidewater, Virginia area). See his post.

I found this article about a 13-year-old Conservation Photographer. Also check out Ashleigh Scully's photography on her Facebook page! I think it's key to get people interested in conservation at a young age. This world will be a better place because of her photography. Imagine if we 'grew' more kids like her!

No comments:

Post a Comment