Wednesday, May 1, 2013

More Snow at Fort St Vrain Nest, Camellia's Location, White Rock Nest

The Eagles at the Fort St Vrain Nest just can't catch a break. Another snow storm today, on May 1st! There is some smudge on the camera. But the other camera is completely covered with snow, so this is as good as it gets. This is what I saw before I went to work:

I figured the chick was OK since the adult had obviously been sheltering the nest bowl. During the day, the snow continued to pile up -- on the nest and on the adult:


At one point, she got up to stretch and shake off the snow:


I could hear the baby cheeping and see it moving around. It seemed hungry. Around 1:00PM, Dad brought some dinner. It was something feathered. After much plucking (notice the dark feathers all over the nest) she fed her baby:


After feeding for a bit, Mom shook her feathers off one more time, then left the nest to take a break and stretch her wings.

The baby was left for a while, but you could occasionally hear an adult calling. And one of them returned to the nest long enough to drop off a stick. Around 2:00PM, there was another feeding. Then around 2:30, it looked like Mom was ready to settle in again. I'm just relieved that they seem to be doing OK. The temperature while I was watching went from 30 to 20 degrees... Hopefully, they will soon get a break from this crazy weather.

Camellia checked in on 4/30. He is in the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, on the Virginia side.


I watched the White Rock nest for a couple of hours last night and no adult came to the nest. There is still one egg in the nest. But I don't know if it was damaged in the skirmish with the intruder or if an adult has been to the nest when I wasn't watching. No one is there now, just the egg... I checked some forums and it doesn't seem that the adults are spending time at the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment