Friday, May 17, 2013

NX and Camellia, Gloucester Bald Eagle Release, Duluth Bald Eagle, Animal Prosthetics, Geese, Ferruginous Hawk on Feathered Photography, Really Old Water, Photo Galleries: Underwater, Ugly Bugs, Small World

NX checked in yesterday. She is near Brent Marsh. It is one year since her release. Maps are provided that show her explorations over the past year. They have also posted again the video from her release a year ago. There a phrase that was coined regarding NX: "Fear The Feisty!" And it makes sense if you watch the video! Overall, the post for May 16th is a nice review!

I posted Camellia's location the other day. There is a post today covering the location data up to that point. Usually, Reese posts same day. But when he travels, there can be a delay in his posts. I can only assume he's been traveling again since this post is a couple of days after the fact...

Looks like I missed another Bald Eagle release. Last night was pool league, so I didn't check my email yesterday. And of course there was an email about the Gloucester Bald Eagle #13-0283 being released today. Here is WCV's entry regarding the eagle release. I am so bummed that I missed this release! I've traveled far to attend a release. Then I miss one in my backyard. I am so disappointed!

I posted the other day about the Bald Eagles that crashed to the ground at the Duluth airport in what was probably a fight over territory. This article contains pictures. The picture of their locked talons shows how much damage they do to their feet when they fight like this. I've seen Bald Eagles on nest cams that have been fighting. You can always tell because of the ugly feet...

Here's an article about prosthetics for animals. It's amazing what they can do these days.

A pair of geese have been guest-starring on the Mission Nest Eagle Cam. The Bald Eagles at that nest decided to use a different nest, and the geese moved in. Today is hatch day, with a few more eggs left to hatch:


Ron Dudley has a Ferruginous Hawk in flight on his Feathered Photography blog. What a beautiful bird!

Water has been found that is at least 1.5 billion years old. Wow, that's really old! It was found in a pocket deep underground. They are analyzing it for signs of life. This could give some insight into the possibility of finding underground water (and life) on Mars!

Here are some photo galleries I found that I enjoyed looking at:

This great article contains pointers on how to safely observe wildlife. The word "safely" applies both ways: how to keep you safe how to keep wildlife safe. Please read and heed!

No comments:

Post a Comment