Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Harrison Bay Eagles Day 65&66 Comfy On Branches, White Rock Eagles Day 42&43, Dyfi Osprey Day 2,4&5, Loch of the Lowes Osprey Day 10,12&13 Aggression

The Harrison Bay Eaglets are pretty comfy out on the branches now. How quickly they learn!

Headless? No -- preening! One of the Eaglets sneezed again while I was watching. The moderator said that the Eagles at this nest sneeze a lot. It has something to do with allergens and the valley they are in.

This turtle wasn't as lucky as the one that escaped the other night.

The Eaglets can feed themselves now. But they will still cry for a parent to feed them.

Parent and Eaglet on the branch. It won't be long before one of the Eaglets ventures that far out...

I'm ready for my close-up!

The White Rock Eaglets are getting bigger and are feathering out.

Probably up to a 4.5 foot wing span now. I'm guessing by comparing it to the nest (smallish since it fell apart between nesting seasons and had to be rebuilt) and that the parent is about 3 feet tall from head to tail.

Finally, a chance to see the three Dyfi Osprey babies... But no! No zoom and no heads popping up.

My internet connection is still struggling and this is all I got before it froze during the overnight (my overnight).

You can often hear a train while watching this cam. Here it is in the background (blue and yellow). This is from morning my time. Afternoon their time.

These chicks were in a puddle in the bottom of the nest bowl. Finally, one raised its head. That's all I got... I'll record again tonight and tomorrow and see what I can get. Verizon is supposed to fix my internet tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get enough speed back that it will stop freezing.

I got some good shots of the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osprey nest. It's easy to pick out the youngest on the left, still wearing its natal down. The two older siblings on the right have their thermal down coming in and look darker.

Dad came to the nest for a visit.

The youngest was in the back for the next feeding and couldn't get a bite.

The older sibling in front turned and elbowed its way to the back. I thought it must have been full...

Nope, just making its way to the bathroom... But that gave the youngest a chance to get some bites. The parents are doing a good job of making sure all of them get enough to eat.

Here's the plan: Put the babies in a food coma and then everyone gets to nap!

This was the first sign of aggression that I've seen at this nest. And the baby was the instigator! The older sibling was laying down minding its own business when the younger one reared back and then dove at the sibling.

It kept doing that until the older one got up and gave it a beat down. Eventually, the younger Osplet stayed down and it was settled.

Dad brought this huge fish to the nest. It was still alive.

Mom quickly started tearing off pieces and fed it to the babies. It didn't stay alive for long. Usually, prey is dead by the time it gets to the nest, having received fatal puncture wounds from the talons.

No comments:

Post a Comment