Monday, June 22, 2015

Three days of posts: Africam Black Eagle, Dyfi Osprey, Harrison Bay Eagles, Loch of the Lowes Osprey Standing!, White Rock Eagles Branching!

I was in a pool tournament this past weekend, so I didn't have time to post. But I still collected material from the nests and tonight I've got all of my s'caps from the weekend.

The baby was peeking out from in front of Mom at the Africam Black Eagle nest on Saturday 6/20.

The lighting wasn't very good on Sunday 6/21.

But today was good light and a good view of the chick. I'm finally seeing a view of the chick where I can see that it is putting on some size. It's still hard to believe that this chick hatched the day before the oldest Dyfi Osplet hatched. I wonder if this development is normal? Anybody know?

I got some really good s'caps of the Dyfi Osplets. On 6/20, two were mugging for the camera while one was being fed.

On 6/21, Mom was doing some nestorations.

I love the two s'caps that I got today.


The Harrison Bay Eaglets are still spending time at the nest. They were lounging together on 6/20.

The DVR had reset on 6/21 before I could review the day. But I got some great s'caps today. This is HB7:

This is HB8. The nictitating membrane is covering half of its eye. This is a see-through eyelid.

Eagles have backward facing ridges on their tongues that help keep food moving to the back of their throat. This view also show HB8's damaged cere (nostril). The function is most likely intact, it's just looks different. (Compare to previous two s'caps.)

Eagles have a hole in their tongue for breathing.

Here's a Chatter video of these two having a big conversation, with the zoomer doing great work! (5:21)

The fledglings continued to keep the zoomers busy today as they explored the branches below the nest.



The Eaglets are also perching in the pine tree across the way that the parents like to perch in. Both of them are in this sc'ap. One is obvious. The other is above it and to the right.

One of the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osplets is standing up now! It even pooped from a standing position. This was from 6/21.
 
Then today I caught these funny looks as one tried to flap while standing. It's feet look like it's water skiing in this one...

Looking good!

And falling back to a sitting position.
 
The White Rock Eaglets are growing like weeds.

I had to get up early on 6/21 and caught some views of the White Rock nest before the IR cam switched off. What an eerie-looking scene!

It's always surprising to see the babies doing these Eagle things. I don't think they are taught to stretch like this, they just do it... Here the Eaglet has its right foot and wing stretched out.

Big Eaglets make a lot of poop!

Look at who I caught on a branch this morning! It was already there when I brought up the cam and was still there when I had to move on to another nest... I imagine it stepped up. That's usually how they first venture onto the branches. Eventually they will hop/flap up and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment