Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Berry College Bald Eagle Chick Has Pin Feathers, Bald Eagle Camellia Checks In, Bald Eagles Camellia and NX Checked In, Pam Monahan's Blog About Bald Eagle HK, The Osprey Have Returned, Center for Conservation Biology's Osprey Watch Program

Yesterday, I thought I observed pin feathers on the Berry College Bald Eagle chick. But I wondered if the chick was too young to have pin feathers... So, I did some research and found that you can see and eaglet's pin feathers at 2-3 weeks. So, yes! The Berry College chick is starting to show pin feathers! I looked back through my screen captures and found this one from 3/16. You can clearly see the pin feathers here. This was day 22 for the eaglet. It's funny, I posted this picture on 3/16 and noted that Dad Berry was pretty dry compared to Mom Berry. And I didn't even notice how visible the pin feathers are in this picture! In looking back through my screen captures, I discovered that you don't get to see much of the chick's wing tip up to this point since it has been down in the soft grasses or under Mom... 

I'll post my "Berry" pictures from today on tomorrow's post. I have a couple of other Bald Eagle things for today...

Bald Eagle Camellia has checked in. Bald Eagles love golf courses...

Bald Eagle NX also checked in on 3/12. I'm not sure why it took them so long to post an update... They note in the update that she just turned 3 years old on 3/15. Happy Hatch Day NX!

I touched base with Pam Monahan recently to see why she hadn't posted on her blog for a while. (I was starting to worry, but she's doing fine. She explains on her blog that she is out of town for a while.) She did have two new entries though. The first is from February 25th, Bald Eagle HK taking care of his nest. The more recent entry has pictures of a new young lady that is hanging out around Honey Bee Golf Course. The assumption of it being a female is because she's a "big girl" and the young part because she still has some dark feathers. In fact, this bird has the wildest looking eye stripe I've ever seen on a (my guess) 4 year old... I'm guessing it's a 4 year old since the beak is mostly yellow and the eye is very light. If I only had the eye stripe to go by, I'd guess that she's a 3 year old. I can't see the tail very well... Sometimes, it's a puzzle that you can't really solve... Anyway, this post is dated February 26th.

Today, I saw both Osprey at nest #307! This nest is about a mile from my house. If you have a local Osprey nest, become a citizen-scientist and report your observations at CCB's Osprey Watch web site. In a related story: Bald Eagle HK has appropriated most of the sticks from the Osprey nest at Honey Bee. I'm sure the Osprey will not be happy upon their return...

No comments:

Post a Comment