Friday, March 7, 2014

Eagles4Kids Bald Eagle Nest Territory Dispute, Berry College Bald Eagle Chick Day 11, 12, and 13, Bald Eagles Camellia and NX Check In, Decorah Bald Eagle Nest Videos, Hays Bald Eagle Nest Cam

Lots of drama happening at the Eagles4Kids Bald Eagle nest. A pair of eagles are trying to take over the nest. Their update for yesterday has several videos posted: one of the strangers attacking one of the resident eagles and then the intruders visiting the nest several times afterward. The second half of this video shows a close-up of one of the strangers. It looks like there are still some dark feathers in the eye-stripe. This eagle is probably coming up on its first reproductive year. A new mating pair would be looking for a territory. As habitat reaches saturation, we will see more territory disputes... The update for today says that the strangers have been on the nest today, so we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

I took two screen captures of the Berry College Bald Eagle nest yesterday (March 5th). Here's the chick day 11 -- it was watching Mom intently:

And what was Mom doing? She was trying to eat the leg of a Coot. You can see its foot resting on her foot, it's leg in her mouth. Coot feet look like a Christmas Cactus, not webbed at all. I couldn't stick around to see who won, the leg or Mom Berry. That leg was not going down without a fight!


I only managed to get one screen capture of the Berry College Bald Eagle nest yesterday. It looked to be a cold, wet day on the nest. I didn't have many opportunities to see what was happening at the nest, so I went the entire day without seeing the chick on day 12...

But today I got a good look and let me tell you, the Berry College Bald Eagle chick (day 13) is growing like a weed. I know it's hard to realize how much bigger it has gotten. But look at this screen capture from today and compare the chick to the egg that didn't hatch. Looks much bigger now, right?


Bald Eagle Camellia checked in with some partial data. Hopefully, he'll get a good charge with some sunny weather.

Bald Eagle NX has also checked in and she is 28 miles from her check-in site of 2 weeks ago.

I like these two videos from the Decorah Bald Eagle nest. Three eggs at this nest! Video 1 and Video 2. An interesting thing at the end of video 1: When Dad gets up off of the eggs, they are all in a row. Then before Mom lays down on them, she rolls one over so they are in a circle (triangle). I've noticed that male Bald Eagles tend to like the eggs to be in a row and Moms like them more in a circle. I believe that since males are more narrow, they have a more narrow brood patch. Having the eggs in a row helps the male to line them up along his brood patch and keep them all warm. Just my guess...

Shoebutton left a comment that I should check out the Pittsburgh Hays Bald Eagle Nest Cam as a possible nest to follow. This was the nest that had the Raccoon in it a week or so ago. I'll watch that nest for a bit and see how I like it. They have three eggs and they do have a good night-time cam. (I was disappointed to find that the Humboldt Bay cam doesn't have very good night-time picture quality... So I may not follow them after all.) Thanks for the suggestion Shoebutton! Here's what's happening on the Hays nest right now:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris. Again, sorry I haven't commented in so long. Thanks for the continuous blogging! I loved your comments about the mayor and city council in Norfolk. They are truly idiots (except for the one city councilman who's name I cannot remember at this early hour). Your beta fish is very lucky! What an incredible home you have made for it with the addition of the oxygenated plant. Brilliant idea! I wonder why the one egg at Berry College didn't hatch. Sure hope mom's foot heals soon. It's sad to see. Have a great weekend, Chris. I appreciate your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cindi, Thanks for you comment. It's always good to hear from you! The one councilman who is worth a darn is Smigiel. I appreciate his efforts on behalf of the Norfolk Eagles. Too bad he's among idiots! I read somewhere that 25% of eggs don't hatch. I speculate that the unusually harsh winter may have played a part at the Berry College nest. I think Mom Berry's foot is starting to show some improvement...

      Delete