Thursday, March 27, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 33, Two Harbors, Hays, Southwest Florida, White Rock, Northeast Florida Bald Eagle Nests, Audubon Society of Western Pa chats about Hays nest

The Berry College Eaglet is 33 days old now.

Dad Two Harbors looks like he's done some feaking since yesterday (I didn't get to see the baby today...):

I got a wide angle look at the Hays nest today. Now I know why there's so much traffic noise at this nest:

The Southwest Florida Eaglet was cracking me up today when I checked in. One of the adults was in the nest eating something with it's back to the Eaglet. The Eaglet was feigning nonchalance.

Finally, the Eaglet wanders over, "Are you going to eat all of that?"

I hate being ignored. I have an idea! I'll try pulling on your tail feathers...

That didn't work either. Might as well go play!

It was a pretty day at the White Rock nest:

One of the Northeast Florida Fledglings was home today, eating a fish:


The Audubon Society of Western Pa had a chat today to answer questions about the Hays Bald Eagle nest. I'm going to include an excerpt from the transcript here. I hate it when you go back to a link and the article is gone. And the bit about the "subsong period" and "song crystallization" is something that I didn't know and found interesting. And I want to be able to refer to it again and maybe research it further. Here's the excerpt:
The young can hear their parents from inside the egg. It is the beginning stages of the “critical learning period” during which they learn what their parents sound like, and what they should sound like when they are older. They will then go through a “subsong period” when they practice what they've heard, and will then finalize their sounds through the “song crystallization” period where they perfect and organize their sounds into the correct pattern and timing.



No comments:

Post a Comment