Friday, March 28, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 34, Hays Bald Eagle Nest Has Their First Hatch, Southwest Florida, Northeast Florida, Two Harbors and White Rock Bald Eagle Nests, Bald Eagles Camellia and NX Check In

The Berry College Eaglet is 34 days old today. I didn't get any good feather shots yesterday. Look at how much more the feathers have grown in!



This is the first time I've seen this eaglet spread its wings. I estimate at least 2.5 feet wingtip to wingtip:

Then there was a nice stretch. I love this stretch, but it's kind of hard to tell what's what if you aren't watching as it happens. The head is down. The wrists are the forward-most/lowest part of both wings and the elbows are touching above the chicks head. So, come pretty much straight up from the eaglet's back to its elbows, then down and out to each side to the wrists, then back (away from the cam) to the wingtips:

Sitting up tall now:

Do we have a hatchling at the Hays nest? The adult kept listening intently to whatever was happening in the nest bowl:

When the adult got up, I could see what looked like egg shell.

And it looked like a feeding posture. So it seems congratulations are in order!

And sure enough, every now and then, I could see a bobbling head. But the parent was in the way and I couldn't get a decent s'cap. And then finally, I got this:

And then the parent shifted a little and I could see the baby resting after being fed.
 
The other parent arrived at the nest with another stick to fortify the crib rails.
 
Not the greatest family picture because of grass-fluffing. It is super hard to get a Bald Eagle family to pose nicely! So, this will have to do... 

And back to incubating. Look at how high that crib rail is!

I love how this nest looks at night:

I brought up the Southwest Florida nest and wondered if the eaglet had fledged. (Look at all of that debris in the nest!):

Their web page said they were still on fledge watch. When I checked in later, the eaglet was in the nest. The wings are spread out to keep the eaglet cool on this warm evening.

I like the foot sticking out here:

I found one of the Northeast Florida Fledglings at home today:

The Two Harbors nest is interesting. The Dad takes the day shift and the Mom takes the night shift. I'm used to seeing the Mom take all the shifts with Dad coming in only long enough to give Mom a break. These two share the responsibilities much more equitably.

Feeding time:

The chick takes turns watching Dad prepare the next bite...

and taking in the world outside the nest.

I like how the sun catches off the morsel that Dad is presenting to the chick:
 
 And just like clock-work, Mom comes in for the overnight shift.

I got to see both parents on the White Rock nest today. So far, they seem a lot more attentive to their eggs than last year...

Dad's home!
 
This nest always looks so green and pretty. Other nests always look dead and dusty, maybe with one green sprig from a pine tree.

Bald Eagle Camellia has checked in. He is revisiting an area where he recently spent some time, so the foraging must be good there.

Bald Eagle NX has also checked in. I wish that they would provide a better description of her travels and include an indication of distance on their maps...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment