Saturday, March 1, 2014

Berry College Bald Eagle Chick Day 7, Bald Eagle KE's Location

Just a quiet day at the nest. Mom was zonked out for a bit:

"Mom, you're squishing me!" There's still a lot more freedom under Mom than being in an egg! It will be about another week before the baby is able to thermoregulate and won't need constant brooding. Mom will still brood the chick at times and will always try to protect it from rain, even after the chick is much too big to fit under her! I've also noticed when it's hot that Mom's shadow is often shading the chick. By accident or on purpose? I don't know.

Here's some super cuteness! A special moment with Mom.

When I grow up, I'm going to be this big!

I think Coot was on the menu for lunch.

Dad comes to the nest a lot more often since the hatch.

Laid back baby...

Playing peek-a-boo!

Here's a comparison between hatch day and today:
February 2nd Hatch Day
 
March 1st One week old
 
Bald Eagle KE has checked in. The fishing must be good at Swift Creek Reservoir! Reese speculates that there may be a communal roost near there. One of the things that scientists hope to discover by putting transmitters on Bald Eagles is to find areas, such as communal roosts, that need to be protected. I was wondering where this reservoir is and found that it is about 14 miles (as the eagle flies) southwest of Richmond.

No comments:

Post a Comment