Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Africam Black Eagle Kendi Fledged!, White-bellied Sea Eagles Day 42, Loch of the Lowes Osprey FR4's Impressive Migration

Black Eagle Kendi fledged yesterday, on what I believe is day 110, but I've seen others say day 109. Either way, Kendi was in no hurry! She did the "chicken neck" first, where she was trying to get a good look at something. If I had to guess, I'd say that there was a parent with food that she was looking at. And that's what provided her with the inspiration to jump. Here's an animated gif of the "chicken neck" followed by the fledge:
 
Zoomer did a pretty good job of finding the fledgling.

Kendi experimented with perching on branches.

This is the viewing area below the nest.

 Look at the White-bellied Sea Eagles! They have grown so much in the few days that I couldn't check on them!

When did SE16 grow these buff colored chest feathers?! I only started watching this nest last year. And since SE13 only lived for a month, I never got to see what the chick looked like as it grew in its feathers. So, this is a time of discovery for me!

I tried to capture different views of those feathers.



There was a testy moment, but it was actually SE15 on the left that nipped at SE16's beak.

Loch of the Lowes Osprey FR4 has traveled 2781 miles so far during her migration! That's amazing for just over 2 weeks! FR3 is still hanging around in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment