Friday, September 25, 2015

Big Sur Condor 132, Harrison Bay Eagles, White-bellied Sea Eagles Day 51 Simultaneous Wingercizing, Migration Update For Loch Of The Lowes Osprey FR3 and FR4

The Big Sur Condors are provided stillborn calves to feed on. This is a safe, lead-free, source of food. Preventing lead poisoning is helping to grow the population.

It may seem gross or uncaring to feed these calves to the Condors. But it is what nature intended. I know I feel differently when Bald Eagles bring prey items that have fur vs. something with scales to the nest. I just have to remind myself that predators help to control populations and scavengers have an important job to do too. We'd be hip-deep in carcasses without them!

The Condors are part of a flock.

I don't know if the spread wings is a display of dominance or if it's drying off or cooling off.

The chick is still in the nest. I like the date/time stamp at the top now. But today I noticed that I can't see the entrance to the nest. Bummer... I've seen a lot of feedings happen there, with the parent outside and the chick inside.

I think this is only one of the Harrison Bay Eagle parents perched in the tree. Look for the white head, right in the center of the s'cap...

The White-bellied Sea Eagle's SE15 on the left is so tiny compared to SE16.

I love this!

The female on the right has a more brownish chest than the male.

Here's a video of the Simultaneous Wingercizing that they were doing today (3:44):

Here's an update of the migration of the Loch of the Lowes Osprey FR3 and FR4. I think this is fascinating! I hope their transmitters continue to function for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment