Thursday, March 28, 2013

Camellia's location, Duke Farms and Sooner Lake nests, Sandhill Crane gets prosthetic leg

Camellia has checked in. He's still hanging out in Virginia Beach.

I wanted to check on the Duke Farms nest since the male Bald Eagle fought that Hawk in the nest. I was concerned about any eggs or chicks and how they fared. Boy was I surprised when two heads popped up at feeding time!

Sad news out of Sooner Lake. It's confirmed that the fourth hatch did not survive. And now one of the first three, the smallest, has died. I'm not sure what happened. The oldest chick is very aggressive -- and siblicide is not unheard of. That usually occurs where there is not enough food, which is not the case at this nest. But for some reason, the oldest chick is still really aggressive with its younger siblings. They are down to two now. The nest is really small, and I wasn't sure how three or four growing eaglets were going to have enough room for wingercizing. I hate to lose a chick, but I feel that the two that are left will have a better chance of making it to fledge now. I just hope the smaller of the two remaining chicks is able to grow and thrive amidst the attacks by the bigger chick.

Here's an amazing story of a Sandhill Crane getting a prosthetic leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment