Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Azalea's location, eagles and bears in the news

Azalea checked in around 11:00PM March 5th. She's still hanging around on the south-side.

Azalea's location 3/5 11:00PM

I found another photographer to follow. Ted Ellis has pictures of Bald Eagles, Hummingbirds and Cardinals on his photography site. He also has some backyard birds (don't we all!), large birds and silhouettes. I usually don't care for music on photography web pages -- I'd rather save the bandwidth. However, I can only complain so much about this site since I found myself singing along...

This article is from the Washington Post dated 2/26/13. It's about the Bald Eagle population in the Chesapeake Bay Tidal Region and Dr Watts (from the Center for Conservation Biology) is quoted. I find it interesting that Bald Eagles are starting to use man-made objects to nest upon, since most of the prime real estate is gone.

The Street Smart Naturalist blog has a great article about the different avian wildlife that is drawn to his yard because of the huge Douglas Firs in the yard. I am always dismayed when I see tracts of land cleared for a housing development, with landscapers coming in after the homes are built and planting puny little trees. I wish that the people that build housing developments would make the effort to leave some of the mature trees. It's not like they can be replaced. I know it adds a layer of complexity to the build, but you can't replace mature trees!

Who doesn't love baby bears!?!? Bearizona Wildlife Park has five black bear cubs. So cute! And a polar bear cub was born at the Buffalo Zoo. Even cuter!

I've got family coming into town tomorrow, so I'm not sure when my next post will be...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Washington Post article. We were out of town, and while I did glance at it online, I had no time to read the story and comments. Always good to see Dr. Watts quoted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Ted Ellis link....wow..another inspiration!

    ReplyDelete