Monday, March 18, 2013

Photography forum, rabid racoon in Hampton, Osprey are back, Panda Bear and baby bears, injured & orphaned wildlife

I found another photography forum. I was looking through the "avian" posts when I came across this picture of a kingfisher up-chucking a pellet. The photographer had great timing getting this picture. This is one of those "critique" forums, so I don't think I'll participate. But it looks like a good forum to poke through. Come back and comment if you find something to share!

A rabid raccoon was found in Hampton, VA. Make sure your pets get the rabies vaccine. Here's the announcement from the city:

RABIES CASE CONFIRMED
The Hampton Health Department has confirmed a positive case of rabies. A family dog came in contact with a wild raccoon earlier this month - on March 9, 2013 - in the Buckroe area of the city near Fire Station 4 on Richard Avenue. The raccoon was submitted to the State Laboratory in Richmond for testing, where it was found to be positive.

A friend told me tonight that he's spotted Osprey at a couple of nests. I've been keeping an eye on the two nests that I watch as part of The Center for Conservation Biology's Osprey Watch program, and so far, no Osprey.

I ran across this story about Panda Bears... It was about how you get captive bears in the mood, for... well... you know... Here's the link.

Here's an article about a bear cub that was wandering around by itself. It's an interesting read, but there's a lesson to be learned here. Check out this article by The Wildlife Center of Virginia on the topic of what to do if you see what you think is injured or orphaned wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment