Monday, March 11, 2013

Eagle locations, video and cam links, Kingfisher sighting

Reese has returned and has posted some updates:

Camellia's update.

Azalea's update.

KE's update.

NX has also checked in recently, on 3/10. Here's a link to NX's update. Is it just me or does anyone else think it's strange that NX has stayed within a few miles of her release sight? I had asked where this brood would consider their natal territory, since Bald Eagles are supposed to return to their natal territory. I wondered if it was NBG, WCV or where they were released. I was told that their natal territory had been established as NBG before they were taken from the nest. So far, NX hasn't shown any inclination to explore beyond where she was released. She must be foraging without any problems. But Azalea has shown us that even catfish farms don't keep an eagle's interest forever. So, what's with NX?

I came across this story of a volunteer pilot transporting an injured Bald Eagle to a treatment center. It has embedded video at the top of the story. What's neat is that after the story finishes, you can click on another video. So, from here I went to a story about a Bald Eagle that was hit by a truck and stuck in the grill. From there, I watched a video about a puppy that got stuck in a cactus and the crowd of people that showed up to adopt him. Here's the start to watch these three videos.

Part of my property is wetlands, 3rd house down from the water. I had thought a few times that I'd heard a Kingfisher out back. This morning I saw a big bird on a post in the wetlands. I was inside looking out my back door window maybe 25 feet away. It was big. Then it turned and then took off and I realized it was a Kingfisher. I stepped outside and was able to hear it as it flew from branch to branch. I had no idea they were so big! I didn't get a picture... I just need to glue a camera onto my hand!

Some eagle cams to check out.
The SW Florida eaglets are full grown. They will fledge soon.
Fort St Vrain eagles are incubating.
Alcoa eagles -- Liberty and Justice -- in Davenport, Iowa are incubating

SW Florida nest 3/11 11:14PM



No comments:

Post a Comment