Sunday, March 17, 2013

Local birds, Eagle locations, Eagle cams, Sea Lion pups in trouble

The temps are getting warmer and a pair of my House Finches are back! I  also spied two Brown Thrashers hopping across my back deck. They are huge! I don't know what I've done with my little point and shoot, but I need to find it!

Reese has posted new updates for our eagles:
Azalea's location
Camellia's location

Here's a pic from the SW FL Eagle Cam this evening. Stretch those wings! And look at those talons!

I caught feeding time at the Alcoa nest this evening. Here's some screen captures:
Say hi to the world!
Then Dad showed up.
He was trying to help with feeding.
I did some research yesterday on the Minnesota Bound Eagle Cam. They have two eggs, just laid on March 9th and March 12th. I doubt that they will lay another since it's been 5 days since the last egg was laid. I'm really excited about watching this nest since I'm coming in right at egg laying. And the cam picture is really nice.
 
I got a lead on another Bald Eagle nest cam: the NCTC cam in Sheperdstown, WV. They had a hatch yesterday and a hatch today. Very nice, hatching just a day apart! Here's a link to the NCTC cam. Mom finally moved and I tried to get a pic just now. But it's starting to get dark there and the cam picture is very pixelated. The screen capture I took looks horrible. I did see two heads bobbing around. 

Sick and malnourished Sea Lion pups are washing ashore in record numbers in California. Here's a link to the story. I saw a spot on TV about it. Fishermen are reporting that bait fish have disappeared, which Seal Lions rely upon. I hope they can figure out what is going on in the waters off of California.

No comments:

Post a Comment