Sunday, August 4, 2013

Juvenile Burrowing Owls on Feathered Photography, Where's Camellia?, Lion Neighbors, Impact of Reintroduction of Wolves at Yellowstone, Plague Carrying Squirrels, Animal Technology

I was out of town this past weekend -- family reunion. I hope you all had a good weekend!

Ron Dudley has posted a picture of juvenile Burrowing Owls on his Feathered Photography blog. These are some cute owls!

I guess Reese is off somewhere. No update on Camellia for a while. I looked at the tracking site for his most recent location and he isn't showing up on the map. I expect a new update soon, so I'll post that once it's been put into the map.

Here's a story that reinforces the idea that good fences make good neighbors. That's especially true when your neighbors are lions!

This story explains how the reintroduction of wolves at Yellowstone National Park has a positive impact on the grizzly bears that live there. Ecosystems are so complex, which is why conservation of endangered species is so important.

In LA, some squirrels have tested positive for the plague. I'm surprised because I thought the plague was a thing of the past and I didn't know that squirrels could carry it... It can be spread by fleas that bite the squirrels and then bite humans. And these squirrels did have fleas. Scary stuff...

There is some pretty cool 'animal technology' available these days. Will dogs be able to communicate with us one day? I think that would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment