Thursday, August 15, 2013

More Screen Captures From The Okeanos Explorer

I'm just going to post some pictures tonight from watching the Okeanos Explorer. These are s'caps I took yesterday while they were looking at the SE wall of Oceanographer Canyon. Tomorrow is the last day to watch the deep-sea exploration. I'm going to try to correctly identify what's in these pictures...

These are both Anthomastus, with the one on the bottom right being in the withdrawn state.

There are a bunch of Bivalves hanging out on this ledge.

Look at how little but fierce this Squat Lobster is!

Black coral with a Squat Lobster associate.

This Spiny Crab was walking along and using its pinchers to grab silt and put it in its mouth. In this picture, you can see its right pincher is moving a fist-full of silt to its mouth... (Um, it's facing left in case you can't tell...)

Here's another ledge of Bivalves with an Octopus hanging out. I never realized how cute Octopus are!

A closer s'cap of the cutie!

One of the scientists asked them to zoom in on this Barnacle hanging off of one of the Bivalves. And I was all ho-hum... But then they zoomed in and I could see the feathery cirria fanned out -- pretty cool!

This is a different spiny crab. I thought they looked pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment