Sunday, August 11, 2013

Okeanos Explorer 2013 Deep-sea Exploration

I spent a couple of hours today watching the deep-sea exploration that I blogged about yesterday. I took way too many s'caps! I'll present them over the next few posts. They said today that they were shallow at 503 meters, which is about 550 yards.

I forget what kind of shrimp they said this was.

I forget what kind of fish this is. It was very shiny! (Update 8/14: This is a Barracudina.)

Same fish as the one above. I think it's sifting through the silt looking for food.
 
Skate. This one has some spines along its back.

They were calling this one a Cancer Crab.

This is a different Skate than the one above.

Octopus. They didn't stay on this one very long, so the s'cap isn't the greatest.

Red crab at the entrance to its burrow. The two red dots are lasers from the ROV. They are using them to take measurements.

The next two pictures are the same Anemone. While we were watching, some little critter bumped into the anemone. Yum, yum! (The scientists were so excited when this happened. It was funny, listening to them.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment