Monday, March 16, 2015

Berry College Eagles Day 31&33, Second Egg for White Rock Eagles

It was a hot day at the Berry College Eagle nest. They aren't used to warm temperatures yet. The babies spent the day panting, which is how Bald Eagles cool off.

The babies have already figured out that it's cooler in the shade.

Here's a look at the darker feathers come in on the upper back, wing edges, and tail feathers.

Here's a better look at tail feathers!

I brought up the White Rock cam just now to see if a second egg was laid today. (Today is 3 days from when the first egg was laid and is the right time for a second egg.) I found Mom White Rock on the nest and moving with the effort it takes to lay an egg. What great timing! I got video rolling as fast as I could... After a few minutes, she stopped moving, backed up, and did an egg roll. She stayed like this for a bit, allowing the egg to dry off. I just wish she'd scoot out of the way for a second so I can see into the nest bowl better... Here's the video of her laying the egg (2:35). These are the best s'caps I could get, barely able to see the edge of a second egg near her right foot.


Oh well, I was hoping for a better s'cap of two eggs. But she has done good work today and seems settled in for the night. I'll get a good s'cap tomorrow... It's late for me and I need to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment