Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Berry College Eagles Day 33&35 - Growing Up, White Rock Eagles, Eagle Nest At U.S. National Arboretum, Baby Elephant Bath

It was a nice day at the Berry College nest. The babies are growing fast, getting more steady on their feet and feathering out. Here's a video of how they spend their days... (7:39) If you don't have much time, watch the end to see how they watch their Mom when she flies away. Some s'caps from today. First is dual wing stretches:

I like seeing how the feathers are coming in. So far I see shoulders, wing edges and tail.

A few s'caps from the White Rock nest today. If you have time to watch this nest tomorrow and maybe into the overnight, you may see a third egg being laid. No idea if they will lay a third egg, but that's when it should be. Here's Mom doing an egg roll and repositioning:

She did leave the nest for a little break:

She was only gone for eight minutes. But it's still a nail-biter for me when the eggs are left unguarded. It only takes a moment for a predator to wreak havoc...

I also hold my breath upon the adult's return. What if it's an intruder? She moved right in...

...and resumed incubating her eggs. All is well...

The video that I posted last night got hung up in processing. This video shows a milestone in their development, so I'd hate for people to miss it, So, I uploaded it again today and it worked. Here's a link (4:08) and a reminder what it's about:
The babies at the Berry College nest were attempting to self feed when I brought up the cam this morning. They were both sitting and trying hard to get some pieces, with some success. This is a milestone in their development. Here's a link to a few minutes of video. It starts with one of the babies (the one laying down in front) moving food from its crop to its stomach. Then it stands up and barely makes it past the parent while backing up to poop. And both chicks try to self-feed. Mom had already fed them, so she was happy to watch over them as they tried to feed themselves.

My sister sent me an email: Bald Eagles are nesting at the U.S. National Arboretum for the first time since 1947. It appears that they have eaglets in the nest. They are looking to put in a cam next year! You can read about it here.

My co-worker showed me this funny video of a baby elephant getting a bath. (2:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment