Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy Earth Day!, Berry College Eagles Day 68&70, White Rock Eagles Day 2&3, Harrison Bay Eagles Day 24&26, White-bellied Sea Eagle Nest Building, Dyfi Osprey Incubating, Loch of the Lowes Magnificent Nest

Today is Earth Day. We need to treat the Earth right every day. Here are some ideas...

I think only one of the Berry College eaglets is going up on the branch. I imagine the other will be up there soon... The nest was swaying in the wind, but the eaglet was flapping like crazy way up on the branch. It's gotten pretty comfortable up there.

She wasn't sure how to get down from so high up. Look at the position of the feet...

Then she took a huge step down because the parent landed in the nest. You can't see the parent because it's right behind the eaglet.

Good thing the branch was there to hold her in the nest, she was completely off balance and leaning on it when she finished stepping down.

It was a mob scene for this food delivery.

But later in the day they were all happy to share.

The White Rock parents were stingy with their babies tonight. I brought up the nest at least an hour before it shifted to the IR cam. I just caught Dad settling onto the nest. So I missed seeing the babies then. Mom returned soon though, so I was hopeful. She gave Dad the "move out of the way" look.

He did not take the hint, so she stepped into him, forcing him off the nest bowl. Unfortunately, she blocked the view as he moved off the nest and then she settled right in without letting us see the babies... Sorry to disappoint! I'll get a s'cap tomorrow for sure!

I got some good s'caps at the Harrison Bay nest today! Here's Dad perched and then flying to the nest:




Then I got some good family shots. It's so hard to get everyone's face! (Especially when Dad won't stop eating and Mom is fluffing the nest.) Here's my 3 best s'caps of the family:



The zoomers at this nest are great. Here's some night shots and close-ups. You can see the pin feathers coming in. In this first s'cap, one of the babies is living on the edge! And you can see the pin feathers on the tip of the out-stretched wing.

Pin feather s'caps:


 

 
Look at that sweet face. These babies are growing up so fast!

I got a little look at the White-bellied Sea Eagle today. It looks like they are working on a nest that's through some branches. I'll have to go in the chat room sometime and see what's going on... Peek-a-boo!
 
It looks like the Dyfi Osprey is incubating... The IR light is harsh! 

Yes, the sun is up now and there's one on the nest and one on the perch. I'll record overnight and see if I can get a look at an egg roll...

The light is so nice on the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes nest that I had to take this s'cap. Look at how magnificent this nest is. Have you ever really studied it? It is a work of art! Each stick and clump of moss was brought to the nest one piece at a time. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment