Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Berry College Eagles Day 47&49 Big Wing Span, Harrison Bay Eagles Day 3&5 Nest Sounds, Africam Black Eagle Nest Season Has Started

The Berry College Eagles are in their growth spurt! Look at this wing span -- I'm thinking it's as wide as the nest, about 5 feet!

I caught a family moment at the Harrison Bay nest. Dad dropped by for a meal. And Mom joined him in the dining area. And the babies didn't get any! Not to worry, they are getting plenty to eat. I captured a video, and it's all about sound (11:20): Dad landing near the nest, then in the nest, Dad eating, Mom eating, and there's even an audible poop shoot. There's also some beaking between the two siblings, with smaller HB8 sometimes being the aggressor. Here's some stills from the video:


Their heads look almost the same size in the above s'cap. But look at the difference in the size of their bodies. That's what a 2 day head start gets a hatchling:

All eyes are on Mom!

I had a calendar reminder pop up to check the Africam Black Eagle nest. And look at what I found the first time I brought it up this nesting season:

I lurked in the chat room for a few minutes and learned that this is Mom and that they put in a new camera this year. The picture does look nice and clear. They have always had sound. There is a nearby waterfall that can be heard. We should have two eggs by mid-April to early May. Typically for these eagles, if both eggs hatch, the older chick will commit siblicide. It can be hard to watch, so be aware of that if you choose to watch this nest. Laying two eggs is how this species ensures that they have at least one chick to raise. And siblicide is how this species ensures that they only have one chick to which they can dedicate all of their resources. It's in their nature. Very rarely do Black Eagles fledge two chicks from a nest... It's easier on viewers if only one egg hatches. So, that's what you hope for if you watch this nest. You can watch them here. I'm not sure if they are only streaming during certain times like they did in past years or if they will go 24/7 with the new cam. I just went to the site to see if I could figure out what the time difference is and when they stream. I didn't figure it out, but it is sunrise there now (and midnight on the east coast)... Here's the male perched on the cliff. I assume they panned over to him. Looking at the white-wash, I'd guess the nest or a perch is up to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment