Friday, April 3, 2015

Berry College Eagles Day 49&51 Getting Big, Harrison Bay Eagles Day 5&7 Escaping The Nest Bowl, and Africam Black Eagle Tour of Area

The Berry College eaglets are doing a lot of wingercizing now. Cam 1 has been down since the rain yesterday. So, I've only got some overhead s'caps from today. They are getting big and are still doing a lot of sleeping. Growing so fast uses a lot of energy.

On chick gives the other a wing blanket during a stretch.

You can see in the s'cap above and the one below that the sheaths for the tail feathers are disappearing.

"Wheee!"

It seems like eaglets get huge overnight.

The eaglet has its wings spread to cool off. It is probably panting, which also helps them to cool off.

The eaglets at the Harrison Bay nest are starting to climb out of the nest bowl. Check out this video (6:42). The ending cracked me up! I got another short video of the chicks in a close-up (2:38).
Here's some s'caps from today. The babies were passed out:

They were offered food, but were completely oblivious...

I just like this one...

One of the chicks decided to stay topside for a bit after escaping from the nest bowl. Mom was keeping an eye on the baby until it rolled back in. It's time to build up the crib rails!

This is a still from the close-up video in the link above.

The Africam Black Eagle camera was on a loop this morning, showing the area around the nest. I'd been curious about what was around and figured other people might be too. Here's a link to the tour (4:30).
They perch on the little ledges on the cliff face overnight. This is from last night. It just doesn't look comfortable to me, but I bet they are safe from predators:

I grabbed a few s'caps this morning, which is before their sunset. Someone in the chat room mentioned the angel on her back. Somebody else said they just missed it as I was taking this s'cap. So, I can see and angel, but I guess at some point it looks better than this. Neat. I have something to watch for now!

The next two are from the tour. It looks like there is a viewing area down below. If anyone has been to the observation area and has a picture of the view from the ground that I can post, let me know!

A lot of green sprigs are being brought to the nest. We should be seeing the eggs soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment