Thursday, June 12, 2014

Berry College Fledgling Day 110, Nest Cam Round-up: Hays (More Rain!), Two Harbors, White Rock, Interesting Theory at Loch of the Lowes

Today was day 110 for the Berry College Bald Eagle. I got some neat pictures of the adult and the fledgling jumping up onto the branch. This is monkey see, monkey do. Step 1: Spot the branch. Step 2: Crouch. Step 3: Leap.

Some other s'caps from the day:

If you were wondering, B3 did stick the landing following the above sequence:

This is what happened first. B3 was eating something stringy. The adult came over and took it:

The adult also had a hard time tearing pieces off of it.

The adult finally just ate it whole, and B3 was not happy!

B3 started crowding the adult, crying for more food.

She followed the adult around the nest, begging. That's what prompted the adult to leave.

These s'caps were taken right after the adult left. I'm not sure what she was looking at here. Her crop is huge! She looks like she's got a third wing sticking out of her chest... And she was looking at something.

 


 

It is pouring tonight at the Hays nest. It looks like two are standing and one is laying down. I'm sure the adults are nearby, but not in the nest. These three would mob a parent, trying to find protection, even though their feathers are able to keep them dry now.


The Two Harbors cam was down all day. I checked again this evening when I started this blog entry and it was up. But this is all I got...

I checked back about an hour later and got this...

I have really enjoyed the White Rock nest this evening. They had a nice family time while I was watching. I took a ton of s'caps and have picked out the best to present here. When I first looked in, Mom was dozing in the nest with the eaglets.

When she starts calling, you know something is happening...

...Dad's home!




I caught a poop shot!

There is an interesting theory on the Loch of the Lowes Osprey Nest blog entry for today. They speculate that inbreeding is avoided by males returning to their natal area to mate while females "disperse more widely." I wonder if that's a correct theory and if Bald Eagles do the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment