Thursday, June 26, 2014

Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors, Berry College Bluebirds, White Rock, Africam Black Eagle, White-bellied Sea Eagle, Dyfi Osprey

The last of the Hays babies is in no hurry to fledge:

The Two Harbors fledgling K43 spent some time at the nest today.

The Berry College Bluebirds feathers are coming in great. They will fledge soon... It seems like the focus was knocked a bit off when the box was accessed for banding the babies.

Such hope and expectation!

It seems that they have transitioned from laying down to standing up. They look like little birds now!

Christian Sasse was on last night in order to watch as David Hancock and others put a camera on a channel marker at the White Rock nest. First they all had to get into position.

Then they lifted what Christian referred to as a fuel cell. Solar power? Battery? I have no idea...

Then a post appeared.

It was mounted on a corner of the platform.

I guess that blob is the camera on top of the post.

Christian estimated that the platform is 3-4 miles away. He zoomed back in to give an idea of the distance...

He also turned his camera to the nest if the eaglets started doing something interesting. I've got lots more to process. Here's what I've got so far...


I don't know why this eaglet has a bald crop. I haven't seen that before. I'd like to see this same shot of the sibling...





Watch out!
 
These two like to watch each other wingercize.


I have more from yesterday, but they are going to have to wait. They need processing. I used a different capture program for these s'caps above and it grabs the rest of the page and tool bars. So I have to crop them. But it gives me the ability to get motion shots since I can grab a s'cap as fast as I can press a button. My other capture program is slower since it pauses the screen and I select the area to be captured. No post processing necessary. But I miss whatever happens while I've selecting the area and saving the shot. But, that's why I've also got s'caps from tonight to show -- they don't need any processing... Tonight I notice something trailing over the side of the nest. It moves like string. I hope it's not trouble... It's right under the eaglet, trailing down and to the left from the edge of the nest.


This is Mom White Rock. Isn't she pretty!?


And this is Dad White Rock, hiding out in a tree.



I took a minute this morning to check the Africam Black Eagle nest. I got there just in time to see an adult settle in to brood the chick.



I finally got to see the female White-bellied Sea Eagle. At first, Dad was on the nest by himself.


And then Mom came in. She's on the right. It was the first time I'd seen one of them land in the nest. She was very graceful! Like Bald Eagles, female White-bellied Sea Eagles are larger than the males.


I took a peek at the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's Dyfi Osprey Project nest this morning before work.

One of the babies finally showed its face.

You can see a little bit of Mom's blue leg band here.

No comments:

Post a Comment