Sunday, June 1, 2014

Berry College Fledgling Day 99, Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors, White Rock, and Berry College Bluebird

Today is day 99 for the Berry College Bald Eagle. There was a Mexican Standoff today at the nest. When I brought up the cam, Mom and Dad were in the nest.

I couldn't figure out what Dad was looking at.

Mom is still holding her left foot out to the side. She needs to feak to clean up her beak!

They two of them stayed like this FOREVER! Just looking around. I couldn't figure out what they were doing, but I appreciated the opportunity to see the difference in their sizes and appearances. Dad is so tiny compared to Mom. And the feathers on his head are sleek and her head is rough.
 
 Every now and then they would look at each other.

Are they waiting to see who will blink first?

At this point, I still had no idea what was happening.

This went on for about a half hour...

Then Mom moved and I could see that she was standing on a fish. I suppose that Dad wants the fish and Mom won't let him have it...

Dad finally gave up and left the nest. Mom picked up the fish tail and set it in the center of the nest.


Then she too left the nest, leaving the food for the fledgling. I'm surprised that the fledgling isn't hanging out with her parents, learning how to catch fish...

I didn't want to watch a dead fish, so I checked some other cams. When I came back to this nest after a while, I found the fledgling eating the last of the fish.


She ate the whole thing. By the looks of her crop, she probably already had some of her last meal still in there.

I haven't seen her lay in the nest in a while.

That's a big bird!

 It was chow time at the Hays nest when I checked in.

Then it was over and the eaglets watch the parent leave the nest.

I've been checking the Two Harbors nest off and on today and finally caught the eaglet moving about the nest.

Here she is, on her "branch"

It looks like a nice day at the White Rock nest. I love the way eaglet legs look. All chunky and fuzzy... 

Here's a good look at the tail feathers coming in.


Later in the day, the two eaglets are snuggled up together again.

Then a meal arrives. Here Mom is taking the fish from Dad who delivered it.

 Mom had her back to me blocking the eaglets during the feeding. Here's the scene afterward: Food coma!

Mom Berry College Bluebird is incubating her eggs, at last count four...

She did lay one more egg since starting to incubate. Hopefully, we'll see more than one hatch this time. The folks at the college aren't sure if this is the same Bluebird couple as the pair that just successfully fledged one baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment