Saturday, June 28, 2014

Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors, White Rock, Berry College Bluebird, Dyfi Osprey, and White-bellied Sea Eagle, Decorah Eaglets in a Storm, Loch of the Lowes Eggs

Two of the Hays fledglings are spending the night in the nest. But one of them is hiding... 

The Two Harbors cam is frozen. But I like the scene that it's stuck on...

I'm hoping to catch one of the White Rock eaglets on a branch. But so far, I've only seen them in the nest.

I've got a ton of s'caps that I took last night during Christian Sasse's live broadcast at the White Rock nest. I processed some more of them today. These are the keepers that I got from 10:34PM to 10:39PM... The eaglet is preening, zipping its feathers. Check this page for an explanation of what happens when a bird runs a feather through its beak like in the s'cap below.


In this series, the eaglet on the right is moving food from its crop to its stomach. A crop allows an eagle to eat something right away. It then doesn't need to worry about another eagle stealing its food. It is also able to fly away if necessary without worrying about its food. Then, when it is hungry, it just moves some food to its stomach. The food in their crop can also tide them over if they have a gap in finding food. These next five s'caps were taken in quick succession in this order:





I thought these were funny. The eagle on the left was getting ready to preen when something caught its eye...



But then it went on to preen some more.

The eaglet on the right is blinking with its nictitating membrane. (By the way, Christian said that "Jules" is on the right and "Indy" is on the left.)

The preening eaglet is protecting its eyes with its nictitating membrane.


Something must have flown over the nest. The next nine s'caps were taken in quick succession:









I forgot to check on the Berry College Bluebirds earlier in the day when they would have been active. They are all tucking in for the night here:

 The Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's Dyfi Osprey Project nest had a wider angle than what I've seen before. It looks like there are a couple of man-made perches near the nest. One adult is on the nest with the babies and I didn't notice at first, but the other adult is on the perch.

The White-bellied Sea Eagles didn't make a showing for me today. But they've got the nest on the second cam now. What a pretty scene. Here's the usual nest view with the top cam:

This is the new view. We will be able to see Mom and Dad when they perch outside of the nest on this cam. I asked what kind of trees those are and was told blackbutt gum/eucalyptus. I've never heard of a blackbutt gum before...

I didn't check early enough to get a look at the Africam Black Eagle today. I'll have to be sure to check tomorrow. I think it's only available up to 12:30PM E.T.

Once Eaglets in the nest are big enough that they don't need protection from the rain, they are fun to watch during a storm. A lot of flapping and shaking... There was a storm at the Decorah nest on 6/16 and the three eaglets are so fun to watch! Two of them even dip to each side as if they were in water taking a bird bath. And I swear one of them rubs its butt on the nest a couple of times... I've never seen that before. Here's a link to the video. This is an awesome video!

They have retrieved the eggs from the Loch of the Lowes Osprey nest. Here is a link to their blog post with pictures and observations about the eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment