Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors (Video of Fledge), White Rock, and Berry College Bluebird, and Lightening Bugs Are Here

Two of the Hays eaglets were way out on the branch today. In this s'cap, one is below the 'burgh' part of Pittsburgh (in the title) and one is below the word Eagle. And the visible eaglet has just stepped up onto the branch for the first time.

The Two Harbors eaglet K43 was hanging out at the nest today. I missed the big fledge on Saturday! Here is a link to a video showing how K43 spent the day and then fledged. It's a bit over 13 minutes, but fun to watch. This nest has sound, so turn on your speakers! Here's my s'caps of K43 from today.


I got a couple of s'caps from the wide-angle cam at the White Rock nest. Still no close-up cam...


The Berry College Bluebird babies are changing by the minute! It's no wonder they are growing so fast. I saw Dad feed a huge grasshopper to one of the babies today. He had to keep poking and pulling on the grasshopper to stimulate the baby to keep swallowing and get it down. I was amazed that it was able to get the whole thing down! This was my first s'cap of them today.

Look at that little wing sticking out! The dark edge shows where the feathers are growing in.

Look at the difference between the s'cap above and the s'cap below. The dark lines are where the feathers are growing in. I'm amazed at the difference 12 hours (give-or-take) makes! Looking at the below s'cap, I'd say the oldest is top right, then top left, then bottom right, then bottom left... Just going by size and feather growth.

When I walked my dogs this evening, I saw a lot of lightening bugs throughout my neighborhood. They were everywhere! (This was around 8:30PM.) I didn't see many of them last summer. I don't know if the hard winter killed their predator or if something else happened to help them. I'm just glad to see them in such strong numbers this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment