Thursday, July 3, 2014

Nest Cam Round-up: White Rock, Hays, Maine (Fledge!), Africam Black Eagle, and Dyfi Osprey, And WCV Announces Upcoming Eagle Release

I took this s'cap of the White Rock nest right after work.

Then I got these s'caps later during a live broadcast with Christian Sasse. "Did they go that way?"

"Or did they go that way?"

We got some pretty views of the moon.



After Christian shut down his broadcast, I went back to the wide-angle cam and got this pretty sunset.

Surprise, surprise. One of the fledglings is spending the night in the nest at the Hays nest.

The Maine eaglet fledged today at 70 days old... Here's the video. Even better is the return to the nest. Dad brought some food to the nest and oh, the crying and squeeing! You would think that she hadn't eaten in days! Then it looks like Dad starts to eat the food and she's all, "Oh no you didn't!" Eventually she figured out that she was going to have to return to the nest if she wanted to eat. And boy did she! And the squeeing changed -- I can almost make out the words, "I'm doing it! I'm doing it!" (I wouldn't think that a bird could make such a racket while flying!) Listen for the words. Here's the video. I'm going to have to watch that again! I know lol is an overused expression. But I was seriously laughing at her 'graceful' return to the nest. (It's kind of ironic that they can't really learn how to land until after they've taken that first leap.)

I checked the White-bellied Sea Eagle nest a few times tonight and I'm more miss than hit... With no one on the nest, I can tell that there are no eggs yet.

I took a quick peek at the Africam Black Eagle nest this morning. I didn't find either adult on the nest and the baby was in a white fuzzy puddle at the back of the nest. These eagles seem to like green branches in the nest.

I caught both of the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's Dyfi Osprey Project babies awake this morning. In this first s'cap you can see that the babies have their eyes open.

In the next two, the one on the right has its head up to preen. Osprey preen more than any bird I've ever observed on these cams...


Very exciting news! The Wildlife Center of Virginia is going to release a juvenile Bald Eagle in Virginia Beach on Tuesday July 8th. (It's not often that there is a local release!) Here's the email -- please RSVP as directed if you plan to attend. (I'm so excited!!!)
On Tuesday, July 8, the Wildlife Center of Virginia will be celebrating a late Independence Day with the release of a Bald Eagle – and I hope that you can join us! 

This juvenile eagle – #14-0687 – was found on the ground in Sandbridge on May 12; the bird was unable to fly and was easily captured.  The bird was driven up to the Center in Waynesboro by a volunteer transporter on May 14.  The bird was given fluids, anti-inflammatories, and several days of supportive care and cage rest.  The eagle was moved to an outdoor flight pen on May 22 and has been flying well.  Additional information about the eagle is available at:  http://wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/current-patients/bald-eagle-14-0687
The eagle will be released by Ed Clark at 11:00 a.m. near the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center, 717 General Booth Boulevard, in Virginia Beach.  The eagle release party will meet up at the Aquarium’s East Parking Lot; Ed will “lead the way” to the release site.  Additional information about the Aquarium is available at: http://www.virginiaaquarium.com/.  And eagle fans might also want to visit the Aquarium and/or the Gift Shop after the release! 

The eagle release is free and open to the public – I hope you will be able to join us, and please feel free to “spread the word” to other wildlife-loving family and friends.  We are keeping an RSVP list … please email ksluiter@wildlifecenter.org
Thanks so much for all of your support of the Wildlife Center!

Kristen Sluiter

Special Projects Coordinator

Wildlife Center of Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment