Saturday, April 5, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 42, Northeast Florida, Southwest Florida, Hays, Two Harbors, and White Rock Nests

The Berry College Bald Eagle Chick is 6 weeks old today. Look at what a difference a week makes!

I had a really hard time picking the picture to use for today's picture in the above collage. I thought one of these other two pictures might be better. I thought the first would be good because it's almost the same pose as the 5th week picture:

And I like the picture below, showing the wings. But the pose is so much different than the 5th week. In the end I picked the one where the chick was standing up straight and showing the feathers and tail better, and still in a similar pose to the previous week. Maybe next week I'll use something like below, if I can get a good s'cap...

Here's a larger version of the one I picked:

Other pictures of the Berry College nest from today:

When the wings aren't covering the back, you can see there's still a lot of thermal down.



I've seen a lot of eaglets make their first attempts at self-feeding by grabbing pieces while the parent is standing on the food.

I love these big stretches!

The Northeast Florida nest had everyone hanging out together near the nest and I got there just in time to take the tour (thanks Zoomer!):



While all I saw at the Southwest Florida nest was an empty nest:

A heart-warming scene at the Hays nest. Mom was brooding the three chicks and Dad was feeding her:


Then Mom got up and they both fed their three chicks. Having both adults participate in feeding the chicks is the best way to prevent the bigger chicks from bullying the smaller chicks. It's hard to be a bully if you are being presented with bites of food.

The Two Harbors eagles were facing the camera for me. So cute when curious babies pop out in front of a parent:

You can see the baby has its wings spread to help keep cool.

It looks like rain at the White Rock nest. Mom is spreading her wings to keep the nest bowl dry. You can see that her feathers repel the rain, with the rain beading up on her back and rolling off. When eagles preen, they take oil from a gland near their tail (the preen gland) and distribute it to the feathers, making them waterproof.

No comments:

Post a Comment