Friday, April 11, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 48, Nest Cam Round-Up: Hays, Northeast Florida, Southwest Florida, Two Harbors, and White Rock, Luna Moth Cocoon

Today is day 48 for the Berry College Bald Eagle. Today the baby did some stick work:


Here's the big stretch from three different angles, with the last one being from behind:
 


Here are some comparison pictures of the size of the eaglet compared to the adult. I think this is Dad Hays. They look pretty close in size, but I expect the eaglet to grow some more still:


Here's a good look at the feathers on the tip of a wing in a spot of sunshine:

The tail feathers are longer:

Here's my other Berry s'caps from today that I like:




At the Hays nest, even the little babies like to stretch out their wings.
 
You can really see the difference in size with these three chicks, with the youngest watching the other two size each other up:
 
Nobody was home at the Northeast Florida nest. But it's still a pretty scene.
 
I caught the Southwest Florida fledgling in the nest, but only barely. Ten seconds later, the nest was empty...
 
There was plenty of food at the Two Harbors nest:

The baby is trying to keep cool in the shade of the parent:
 
The White Rock nest still has two eggs being incubated:




 
I have a cocoon in my yard in my Rose of Sharon bush. I think it's the cocoon of a Luna Moth. Can anyone confirm it? I'm going to go with Luna Moth unless someone tells me differently. Does the hole in the top mean the moth has already emerged? I don't think the hole is big enough. Maybe it's just pulled away from the branch a little... But what stops rain from getting in there? Should I remove it from the branch and put it somewhere safe until it emerges? These pictures are one from each side and one from the top. I guess the veins are from the leaf used to wrap the cocoon...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment