Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 52, Nest Cam Round-Up: Hays (Cold Temps Coming Tonight), Southwest Florida, Two Harbors, White Rock, Berry Bluebird, Loch of the Lowes (People Need To Stay Out Of Exclusion Areas!), Bald Eagle NX Checks In, Lunar Eclipse Last Night

The Berry College biologists are saying that their eaglet is a female. They say that it is as large as Dad Berry and still has time to grow. I'm going to wait and see how much more growing it does! (Bald Eagle Camellia fooled us all! Pegged as a female but then stopped growing -- hence the female name on a male Bald Eagle!) Today is day 52 for the Berry College eaglet. There was a wet start to the day, but it didn't last!

 
Two noteworthy developments that I saw today. I saw some wingercizing today -- with little hops! This was the first time I've seen any hops!

Look at how much the feathers have grown it:

Yes, the sun came out. That means difficult shadows... But the eaglet turned this way and that, showing off what I believe is a full-grown beak (first the feet, then the beak):



This is the other noteworthy development today. The chick picked up a nestover that really wasn't worth much. I think it was just bone and feather... But still, the chick stood on it and tried to tear a piece of food off of it. This was the Berry College eaglet's first real attempt to self-feed that I have observed.

There was some concern at the Berry College nest yesterday because the Mom disappeared for a while. But she's back now, so this entry is in hind-sight. I took a s'cap of her in the nest on Sunday and a couple of s'caps of Dad in the nest yesterday while she was missing. It's funny, last night when I saw the baby in the nest by itself late at night, I switched to the approach cam to see if I could spot an adult perched in the nest tree and couldn't be sure because there is so much noise on that cam. But I didn't really think much of it, since the eaglet is large enough now that typical predators of chicks and eggs are no longer a real threat. (I read someone's comment today to "save the baby" -- not necessary imho.) And a check this evening finds the chick is home alone, but I think it's ok:

Everyone at the Hays nest was huddled-up today trying to keep warm. There are cooler temps pushing across the country... It's supposed to get down in the mid-20s tonight at this nest -- which is concerning. I hope Mom and Dad Hays work together to keep their brood warm overnight... They are all a bit too big to fit under Mom and the littlest (13 days old) doesn't have thermal down yet.

Oh my goodness. Look at this! I decided to check on this nest as I write about my concerns and I find that Dad Hays has joined the huddle! These parents are awesome! I'm holding my breath that by working together these two can keep their brood warm overnight.

The Southwest Florida fledgling was napping in the nest today. What a nice surprise to find someone home during daylight hours!

The Two Harbors baby was enjoying the sun:

It looked overcast at the White Rock nest today. But still pretty!


I got a quick peek at the eggs when the adult changed position. Not much of an egg roll except for the movement that occurred when the adult stood up and laid back down...

Shhh... Eagle sleeping:

Bald Eagles don't sleep really hard when they are incubating. Sure enough, a few minutes later, her head came up and she looked around. She was calling out as she looked around and I tried to get a s'cap of that. But just as I took the s'cap she threw her head back to call out more forcefully:

On the Berry College Eagle Cam page, below the picture, is a link to their Berry Bluebird Cam. They now have an egg!

At the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osprey nest, two people entered the exclusion area yesterday. The people were quickly removed from the area by the 24/7 volunteers that try to keep the Osprey safe. But still, the Mom was startled off of the nest and was gone "for quite a while" and even upon her return delayed incubation for another 10 minutes. I don't know if the egg was exposed long enough to make it not viable. It is so important to stay away from nesting birds during the breeding season! I got to see the egg tonight during this egg roll, but I wasn't quick enough to get the s'cap of anything more than Mom hunched over doing the work:

And then, just that quick, she laid back down:

Bald Eagle NX has checked in. Does anyone remember Rosier Creek?

Sure enough, the clouds ruined my view of the Lunar Eclipse/Blood Moon last night. All I got was a picture of the full moon before I went to bed. This was supposed to be "pic1" of a series, but it's "pic" instead... You can see it was already cloudy. Did anyone get any pics? Care to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment