Monday, April 7, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 44, Bald Eagle NX Checked In, Nest Cam Round-Up: Two Harbors, White Rock, Southwest Florida, Hays, Loch Of The Lowes

The Berry College Eaglet is 44 days old today. I only had time to get a few pictures today. Finally! A day where the chick pretty much looks the same as the day before...


Preening. Can you make heads or tails out of this one? The tail is pointing down and the chick has turned its head to the left to preen under its wing. You can make out the beak:

I love this picture! Look at how much the feathers have grown in on the wing!

Bald Eagle NX checked in. They have posted a map of all of her adventures since her release. She's a home-body... Not venturing too far.

Most of my rounds on the other nest cams came after dark. The scene at Two Harbors was too cute. Mom is straddling the baby -- you can see the baby's butt in front of Mom's leg and you can see its little face sticking out behind her legs.

The White Rock nest is the only cam still in daylight when I check in this late at night... These Bald Eagles know how to live. It's just one beautiful day after another. (Yeah, yeah, I know. It was raining the other day. But even then it was pretty!):

As I watch, the daylight starts to fade and I wonder if I'll get a look at the eggs:

The next three shots were taken within 3 minutes. The first shows it's getting a little darker:

And then the night cam comes on:

And then, finally, a look at the eggs. This time there was a nice egg roll.

The Southwest Florida Fledgling is resting up after another day of flight training. Here's a really good video of this eaglet's first day flying. It shows how the parents watched after it and taught it how to get back to the nest. It's kinda long (15:25) but after having seen several eaglets fledge and always wondering about what happens next, this video is well worth the time to watch!

Time for me to do like Mom Hays. These two captures were taken about 10 seconds apart:


But one last nest to note... In my March 31st post, I mentioned the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Webcam and their Lady of the Loch Osprey. Due to the time difference, it's usually dark when I check in at this nest. I can usually find someone sleeping:

And sometimes awake (I need to figure out the time difference!)

I did get to check in during daylight hours yesterday and found this pretty scene. I'm not sure if that's the male or the female. I'm just glad I found someone home when the sun was shining!


No comments:

Post a Comment