Saturday, April 12, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 49, Nest Cam Round-up: Southwest Florida, Northeast Florida, Hays, Two Harbors, White Rock


The Berry College Eaglet is 49 days old today. Time for another collage!

Look at that big beak! I think the beak is full size now. I expect to see this chick self feeding soon. 
 
 I don't know what's over the right side of the nest, but the chick favors looking out that way.

 
 
 
 
Getting quite the wing spread. I estimate at least 5 feet wing tip to wing tip. I like how the chick is also spreading its tail:
 
 
This is the picture I chose for the collage this week. The top of its head is at the top of the screen, but otherwise it's a good picture to show the week's changes.

There's still a lot of thermal down on the chick's back.
 

The family met at the nest as the light was fading:

 The Southwest Florida fledgling was out when I looked today except the last time I checked. Which was after dark. And the kid was tuckered out, no doubt after a big day of flying and learning to forage:
 
I enjoy the scenery at the Northeast Florida nest when the cam isn't focused just on the nest. Here is one of the fledglings and one of the adults perched on branches in the nest tree.

The adults at the Hays nest have really got their hands full! (I know! It's just an expression!) I saw a little bit of bullying, but nothing too bad. Here's Mom and an escapee over her right shoulder:

 They are all getting away!

Big stretch! And face-plant...

Dad's home. And he brought the bacon! (I mean, fish...)

One of the older sibs is getting fed while the littlest is lying low, closer to the camera (the lighter gray closest to the cam is the littlest). This is a good look at the color difference between the natal down of the youngest and the thermal down if its siblings. The other, older sib, is asleep.

 A universal truth at nests I've watched is that Moms like to be in charge of feedings. So, Mom takes the fish that Dad was feeding to the chick.

Dad comes around to the front.

Still only one baby has been fed.

Now the other older chick wakes up and the littlest is still lying low. It seems it has already learned to let the older sibs eat first.

The one that just woke up makes its way to the front of the line, while the littlest continues to keep its head down.

Finally, the littlest looks around to see if it's safe to get up. Dad notices the little one and circles around to the right to get the fish that is in the top right corner of the nest.

And he makes sure the littlest gets plenty to eat. I got several great pics of these parents feeding their babies. There is no bullying and everyone gets plenty to eat when the parents work together (even passing food one to the other in one of these shots.) I love all these shots that show how well the parents at this nest work together, so I'm including them all...







She's got her hands full! Lights out babies -- go to sleep!

It was a quiet day at the Two Harbors nest. A big crop tells me there is plenty of food:

It must have been a little chilly with the baby seeking warmth under Mom:

My favorite nest for the scenery is the White Rock nest:




I got a nice look at the eggs today:



I thought something might happen when she started calling...

But even after switching to the wide angle cam, I didn't seen anything going on...


This pretty scene is on the PTZ cam this evening:

I'm sure ya'll can tell I was in front of my computer most of the day, taking tons of screen captures. (Seasonal allergies have me hiding out inside my house...) Am I posting too many pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment