Saturday, May 10, 2014

Berry College Bald Eagle Day 77, Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors, White Rock, Berry College Bluebird, and Loch of the Lowes (Loss of an Egg)

Today is day 77 (week 11) for the Berry College Bald Eagle. (I just discovered that I labeled two posts as day 72. So, I've just gone in and renumbered the posts. Sorry about that!) I had a pool tournament this weekend, so I didn't get many screen captures. I did get a s'cap that I really like for the weekly collage! The eaglet was completely off-camera. I looked at the approach cam and found the eaglet above the nest with its wings spread to keep cool.
 
Here's my other s'caps for the day.

There was a weird look to the next three s'caps. Not pixelated... But something. Keeping them anyway!

I almost used one of these two s'caps for my weekly collage picture since it is representative of what the eaglet is doing now!


But then I found such a beautiful sight when I looked at the approach cam. I took two different views so I could choose which one to include. I like the second one that included the entire nest, and used a cropped version of that s'cap in the weekly collage.


Face plant!

A few minutes later, the harsh shadows are gone.

And tonight the nest is empty...

...with the eaglet perched above the nest. This seems to be a favorite branch.

It was a wet day at the Hays nest today.

When I checked in later, I found this puddle of fluff.
 
It's just not a good time of day for the lighting when I check on the Two Harbors nest... I can at least tell that the eaglet was moving around the nest, so I will assume that all is good.

I took a few s'caps of the White Rock nest before I realized that I could see tail feathers hanging down...


So I went to the wide angle cam to get a s'cap.

Nothing interesting was happening, so I didn't stay with this nest for very long...
 
At the Berry College Bluebird nest, part of the baby was off cam when I took this s'cap. But I like the view of the wing feathers growing in...

Here's the whole bird.

Mom is still brooding the baby.

At the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osprey Cam, we still have to wait a bit over a week before we can anticipate a hatch.
 
Tonight, the female is awake. Sad news, they lost one egg to a crow a couple of days ago. Dad was incubating while Mom was off taking a break. Dad left the nest, probably to chase away an intruder. A crow saw a chance to feed its mate and family and took one of the eggs. It picked up and dropped a second egg, but the experts feel that the egg was not damaged. The male is not as experienced as the female and made the mistake of leaving the eggs unprotected. Fortunately, the female returned to the nest and defended the eggs against another (or the same) crow. And I think Dad learned a valuable lesson... I am hoping that the crow took the first laid egg that was left exposed when people entered the exclusion area and flushed the Osprey from the nest...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment