Monday, May 26, 2014

Nobody Home At The Berry College Bald Eagle Nest, Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors, White Rock, Loch of the Lowes, and Berry College Bluebird, and Bald eagle NX Checked In

I watched the Berry College Bald Eagle nest for hours today and didn't see the fledgling. She had been on the nest earlier in the day and I missed her... This is all I saw while I was watching.

The three eaglets were all panting in the heat at the Hays nest.

It's the same thing, different day, at the Two Harbors nest. This eaglet is a creature of habit!

It's a little hard to tell in these s'caps. But it looks like they might be getting their feathers in at a different rate. This would indicate that they are different genders. The one that feathers out first would be a male. Males grow to a smaller body size and can put more energy into feathers at a younger age than females. In this s'cap it looks like the closer eaglet has a lot more feathers than the other. I can't tell if the different aspect or different proximity to the camera is playing a part in making their feather growth look different. I'm not sure why the adult is calling.
 

There's a little bit of beaking going on here. But they settled back down pretty quickly.

Their feather growth looks a lot different in this s'cap. I want to see them side-by-side facing away from the cam for a good comparison.

There's still no hatch at the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osprey nest. We are still in the hatch window for the third egg that was laid.

I looked in at the Berry College Bluebird nest and found that another nest is coming together. I'll have to start keeping an eye on this nest and see if I can catch someone home.

Bald Eagle NX checked in. She's still in Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment