Friday, May 30, 2014

Berry College Fledgling Day 97, Nest Cam Round-up: White Rock, Berry College Bluebird, and Loch of the Lowes, and Bald Eagle NX Checked In

It's day 97 for the Berry College Fledgling. I saw the fledgling at the nest, but was so intent on getting video of her leaving the nest that I forgot to get any s'caps. I did get video of her out on a branch that seems way too small... She only caught my attention when she landed on the branch. So I started recording while she was catching her balance. Then she folded her wings and disappeared! I'm always amazed at how well such a big bird can do that. Here's a link to the short video. I thought I'd blown my chance to get a s'cap of her, but then one of the parents landed in the nest with one of the ugliest fish I've ever seen.

Four minutes later I caught a commotion out of the corner of my eye as the little piglet lands in the nest, knocks the parent out of the way, and claims the fish. (Eagle parents are so patient!)

The parent hopped up onto the front branch while the fledgling remained mantled over the fish.

Even after the parent had flown away, she held this pose until she was sure there would be no challenge.

Then she relaxed and ate the whole thing!

I was all set up to try to get video of her leaving the nest. And that little bugger flew off of the back of the nest!

I caught the White Rock nest right after it switched over to IR. I much prefer the color picture! I can see tail feathers coming in pretty good.

At the Berry College Bluebird nest, egg number 3 -- right on time! During the day today, a hand suddenly appeared. (Not something I expected to see...) Then the camera angle was adjusted a few times. And now the nest bowl is more centered.

There aren't any updates posted on the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osprey cam. I don't know if they've had a hatch or not... But I was surprised to bring up the cam just now (after 1:00AM) to find it's daylight there. I need to figure out the time change...

Bald Eagle NX checked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment