Friday, May 16, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 83, Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors, White Rock, and Berry College Bluebird, Bald Eagle Camellia Checked In, Two Year Anniversay of Bald Eagle NX's Release

It is day 83 for the Berry College Bald Eagle. The eaglet was laying low in the nest today. It was very windy and the nest was swaying. It was probably too windy for her to feel comfortable on a branch.

I checked in later in time to see the eaglet pick up a fish tail and carry it to the dining area...

She self-fed from the fish tail.

This eaglet does a crash-landing onto her chest when she lays down. She has just landed and is tail up here.

A few seconds later there is cloud cover and the eaglet has settled back.

It's currently in the lower 60's at the Hays nest tonight. The eaglets are in a pile keeping each other warm.

I was away from my computer and heard a racket when I returned. It was the Two Harbors chick K43 being fed. The chick is behind the adult in this s'cap and is taking a bite from the adult. She continued to cry, even while accepting bites. What a cry-baby!

K43 and the adult kept each other company for a while.

I like when the camera angle includes some of the water. I wonder if the eaglet being up on a rock constitutes 'branching' at this nest.

The chicks at the White Rock nest were snuggled together today. Look at how cute they are, head-to-head

And even cuter! One gives up a big yawn and then uses its sibling as a pillow!

One of the eaglets wakes up and makes its way over to the adult.

Bald Eagles look funny to me when they walk. The adult is high-stepping along here, getting some space back after it felt crowded by the chick.

The adult left and the chicks went back to sleep.

I brought up the Berry College Bluebird cam and found one of the adults in the nest box. This is my first time watching a baby bluebird. I'm interested to see what these white spots develop into. Do bluebirds have a thermal down and the contour feathers are coming in now? I know I've seen actual flight feathers coming in on the wings and tail.


I saw the baby wingercizing today. I wasn't sure if songbirds did this, but I guess it would make sense. They need to build their little flight muscles too! I can't image what it would be like if there were more babies in this nest... 

Preening.

Hello baby!

Bald Eagle Camellia checked in again today! Included in this post are pictures that Beverly Nettleton took on May 12th.

Today is the two year anniversary of Bald Eagle NX's most recent release. She didn't celebrate the release by checking in today. But the Wildlife Center of Virginia has posted NX's release video from two years ago. It's been a while since I've watched this video -- I forgot how feisty she is! It has been 9 days since her last check-in...

No comments:

Post a Comment