Sunday, May 11, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 78, Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, Two Harbors, White Rock, Loch of the Lowes, and Berry College Bluebird

Today is day 78 for the Berry College Bald Eagle. When I brought up the camera this morning, I could barely see the eaglet on its favorite perch.

So I brought up the approach cam.
 
I checked back later and found the eaglet in the nest.


It must have been partly cloudy at the nest because there were moments when the harsh shadows were gone. Here the eaglet has a mouthful of the soft nesting material.


I like this view of the eaglet's white armpit. The eaglet was stretching.

The eaglet found a new toy. It's at the eaglet's feet here.

The eaglet kept picking it up and dropping it. I think this is metal banding tape. I was surprised to see this in the nest. Osprey will bring all sorts of odd things to a nest, but Eagles don't typically do this... Either way, I'd rather not see litter in nests!

This eaglet does more of a hop onto the branch than a little hop/flight that I usually associate with branching.

And once again out of sight...

So I go back tot he approach cam...

...and the eaglet hops back down into the nest. But it gave me a chance to take these silhouettes.


Tonight, the eaglet is perched on its branch.

I spent a lot of time in front of the computer today. You know what that means! Lots of screen captures!

The Hays Eaglets are growing like weeds.


It's so hard to get a s'cap where all three are facing the cam. And of course there's a stick in the way!

Two babies are doing wing stretches here.
 
I also like profile shots...

Look out below!

Not pooping here... Just investigating something in the nest.

I checked in at the Two Harbors nest earlier in the day today and the lighting is much nicer.

There's still splotches on the camera though.

The tail feathers are coming in nicely.

This is universal for keeping cool... Spreading the wings.

The parent was watching over the sleeping babies from above this morning at the White Rock nest.

I checked in later and found Mom was shielding the babies from the hot sun.

Much later: Where are the babies!!!

There they are! They won't be able to hide behind a parent for too much longer.


The adult is fussing about something, I don't know what...

The babies seem to be sleeping through it. Look at that little wing sticking out! So cute!

 It's a pretty day at the Scottish Wildlife Trust's Loch of the Lowes Osprey nest. They are reporting that the male today left the eggs unguarded for over a half hour. Fortunately, the crow (or other predators) did not harm the remaining two eggs.

I did get to see the eggs today when the adult repositioned.




Today was a milestone for the Berry College Bluebird. It's day 9 and its eyes are open now. Hello baby!

 It's starting to look like a bird now.

 
It's still all mouth! 

If you don't watch this nest, you may be wondering why there's never any poop in the nest. Each time an adult feeds the chick, they stay and watch it, sometimes even nudging it. They are trying to prompt it to poop. A baby bird's poop is contained in a packet. The adult will take this poop-packet and discard it away from the nest. And I finally got a s'cap!





 
 














No comments:

Post a Comment