Monday, May 12, 2014

Berry College Eaglet Day 79, Nest Cam Round-up: Hays, White Rock, Berry College Bluebird, and Bald Eagle Camellia Checked In

Today is day 79 for the Berry College Bald Eagle. I spent most of the day with the approach cam... Eaglet on the left...

...then hopping around in the nest wingercizing -- catching some air here...

...then over on the right...

... a little further on the right...

...back in the nest flapping...

...back over on the left.

The eaglet is more comfortable in the branches now than in the nest. Nests are only used by adults for raising babies. As I explained in a previous post, a Bald Eagle's anatomy allows them to grip a branch while they are at rest. I think the eaglet has got the hang of it, even spending the last several nights in the branches.

It was already dark when I checked in at the Hays nest. I found this scene of a happy family.

I think that the White Rock nest is so pretty. So I'm including most of the s'caps that I took today... You can see one of the parents perched above the nest.








And we have come full circle...

Pretty view from the wide angle cam.

And the PTZ cam was moving around showing the surrounding area.
 
 I'm a little disturbed by the happenings at the Berry College Bluebird nest today. First, let me say that I am fine with banding birds and putting transmitters on larger birds. I think it's important for biologists to learn from bands and transmitters. But the adults at the Bluebird nest do not like the band on the baby. They kept trying to take the band and were pulling the baby's leg, over and over again, and flipping the bird onto its back. I don't know if this is common behavior in songbirds and if they will stop trying to remove it. I don't see any concerns about this on their web site... I guess I'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.
Here's the baby with the shiny band on its leg. It's fairly obvious and the parents know it is there:

The baby is flipped onto its side/back here, with the baby's band/leg in Dad's beak. Dad was especially determined to remove the band.

 Here's my other s'caps of this nest from today:

What a grumpy face! (And this was before all of the leg pulling...)

This baby is up for food every time an adult comes to the nest!

Bald Eagle Camellia has checked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment